Archive of sold paintings
WallsThis is Seafield, which is one of the many picturesque corners of the parish of Walls, on the west side of the Shetland mainland.
The painting is 24 x 18 inches in size, is in oils on hardboard, and was bought by a website visitor.
Victoria PierA quiet overcast summer evening at Lerwick's Small Boat Harbour. Visiting yachts lie at the Victoria Pier pontoon, while local small boats lie at their moorings in the foreground. Part of the old town can be seen in the background.
The painting is 24 x 18 inches in size, and is in oils on hardboard. The owner lives in Lerwick.
UtopiaThe MFV "Utopia", rigged for the drift-net fishing, ploughs through a North Sea swell as she searches for the shoals. She was owned by a Mair and Anderson partnership from Portknockie.
The painting is 24 x 18 inches, and is in oils on hardboard. It was bought from an exhibition at Duff House, Banff in the summer of 2009.
Swan and ReaperTwo old restored "fifies", now with a second career as sail-training vessels, sail in a stiff breeze south of the cliffs of Bressay in Shetland. The Lerwick-registered "Swan" was built in 1900 at Lerwick, and underwent an extensive restoration process in the late 1980s and early 1990s. She carries a fore-and-aft rig, in contrast to the slightly newer Fraserburgh-registered "Reaper", which is lug-rigged.
22 x 24 inches in oils on hardboard. It was bought from the Catterline exhibition
StonehavenThe attractive waterfront at Stonehaven's old harbour. The owner of the painting lives in the town itself.
Statsraad LehmkuhlThe Norwegian barque "Statsraad Lehmkuhl" is a regular participant in Tall Ships races. Now based in Bergen, she was originally built at Geestemunde, Germany, in 1914, for the German Schoolship Association, as the "Grossherzog Friedrich August". She is pictured setting sail south of Lerwick.
The painting is 24 x 18 inches in size, is painted in oils on hardboard, and was bought by a visitor to the studio.
St.Clair 5The second ro-ro ferry on the Aberdeen - Shetland route to bear the name "St. Clair" was also the last of a series of five ships on the route to be so-called, the first two being steamships, the third a diesel-powered side-loader and the last two being ro-ros. She is pictured entering Lerwick harbour, viewed from the Knab headland, with Bressay in the background.
The painting is 24 x 18 inches in size, in oils on hardboard, and was bought by a visitor to my studio.
St.Clair 4The first ro-ro ferry to connect Shetland with the Scottish mainland, the P & O Ferries "St Clair" enters Lerwick harbour, with the island of Bressay in the background. This was the fourth vessel on the route to bear the name "St. Clair", the previous three being side-loading.
This painting, in oils on hardboard, is 24 x 18 inches in size. It was bought by a studio visitor in 2009.
St. Sunniva 3In 1988, the ro-ro ferry "St. Sunniva" was introduced to P & O Ferries Northern Isles route, making it a daily service along with the "St. Clair" (IV). The "St. Sunniva" was the first and only ro-ro vessel to bear that name, and the third ship on the Shetland-Aberdeen run to do so, the earlier two being steamships in the pre-WWII days.
This painting is 24 x 18 inches in size, and in oils on hardboard. It was bought by a visitor to the studio.
St. NinianThe MV "St. Ninian" was completed in 1950 for transporting passengers and cargo between Leith and the northern isles, this round trip being made once a week, from the time of her maiden voyage until around 1970, when the port of Leith ceased to be used by her operators, the North of Scotland, Orkney and Shetland Steam Navigation Co. She was then sold to Canadian owners.
She is depicted rolling a bit in choppy seas. The owner of the painting lives in Shetland.
St. Rognvald in Heavy SeaThis is the MV "St. Rognvald", one of the best-looking ships ever to grace the fleet of the North of Scotland, Orkney and Shetland Steam Navigation Co. She was built in 1955 to carry general cargo between Leith, Aberdeen and the northern isles, and she continued in this role until she, along with the other side-loaders, were made redundant with the arrival of drive-on loading systems in the mid-1970s.
She is depicted doing a bit of pitching in heavy seas. The paintings owner lives in Lerwick
St. Clair IIThe SS "St. Clair", built in 1937, was the second vessel in the ownership of the North of Scotland, Orkney & Shetland Steam Navigation Co. Ltd. to bear the name. With a break for Admiralty service during WWII, she operated on the route between Aberdeen and Lerwick until 1960, when she was replaced by the first purpose-built motor "St. Clair".
This painting is in oils on hardboard, is 24 x 18 inches in size, and was bought through this website by Dr Forbes Smith from Victoria, Australia.
St. Clair II off Buchan NessThe SS "St. Clair" (II) is pictured heading into the teeth of a north-easterly gale as she begins her trip north from Aberdeen to Lerwick, with the Buchan Ness lighthouse visible on her port bow.
The painting is 24 x 18 inches in size, and is in oils on hardboard. It was bought from an exhibition in the Shetland Museum and Archives gallery in early 2009.
Smaa Boat HarbourA quiet morning at the Small Boat Harbour, Lerwick. The lifeboat and the sail training boat "Swan" lie at their berths at the breakwater pier, while a couple of small motor boats are at their moorings. In the background is the island of Bressay.
This small oil painting on hardboard, 20 x 15 inches, was bought from an exhibition at the Old Haa, Burravoe, Yell, Shetland in 2006.
Sirius leaving AberdeenThe Buckie seine-netter "Sirius" leaves Aberdeen harbour, after making a fish landing there in the 1960s.
The painting is 24 x 18 inches in size, is in oils on hardboard, and was bought from an exhibition at Duff House, Banff, in the summer of 2009.
Silver WaveThe Macduff-built Gamrie drifter "Silver Wave" rolling along as she heads south in brilliant afternoon sunshine, with Sumburgh head about 20 miles away on her starboard quarter.
The painting is 24 x 18 inches in size, is in oils on canvas, and was bought by a visitor to my studio late in 2009.