Ugiebrae SinkingThe night of 23rd June 1915 was a busy one for the German submarine U38 and her skipper Max Valentiner
Thule Rock & ReaperSteam drifters "Thule Rock" and the motorised "fifie" "Reaper" with Sumburgh Head in the background. "Thule Rock", built 1917 at Stromness, Orkney - the only steam drifter ever built there. Drafted into war service – 1939, by the Admiralty, her career ended abruptly in December 1940 when she sank after a collision near Dover. "Reaper" featured in the BBC series "The Ships that Made Britain". Restored to her original state she now sails as a training vessel. The painting's owner is in Shetland
Still WatersThe 80ft trawler "Still Waters" was built of wood by Jones of Buckie in 1986, and fished under this name until 1994, when she was replaced by a larger steel vessel. One of her crew was Thorvald Peterson, of Lerwick, who commissioned this 24 x 18 inch oil painting. It shows her in typical winter North Sea conditions
The SteggiesThis seascape is the front cover of a book by my friend Magnus Schmidt - a Swedish yachtsman. The book is a travelogue of he, his wife Gunnel, his family and friends navigating the seas and waterways of Europe in his yacht "Nereia". The painting depicts the Steggies, a treacherous ridge of skerries and underwater reefs which lie near the entrance to Hamnavoe and Scalloway harbours, and occasionally trap the unwary seafarer. The oil painting on hardboard is 24 x 14 inches
StephensThis painting was commissioned by the great-grandson of one of the owners of the steel-hulled steam drifter "Stephens", built by Alexander Hall's yard at Aberdeen in 1911. As depicted, she was owned by a family partnership based at Inverallochy, near Fraserburgh. She saw Admiralty service in two World Wars, and had four changes of name before being scrapped in Norway in 1955
Star of PeaceThis seascape oil painting depicts the Wick seine-netter "Star of Peace" negotiating the fairly narrow harbour entrance of her home port of Wick in fresh weather.
The artwork, which measures 24 x 18 inches, was commissioned by Julia Christian of Stonehaven
St. Sunniva 2The second "St. Sunniva", of the North of Scotland, Orkney and Shetland Steam Navigation Company Ltd., entered service in 1931 to replace the first vessel which ran aground in fog on the island of Mousa, and was a total loss, although all passengers and crew were rescued. The second "St. Sunniva" was less lucky as during admiralty service off east Canada during WW2, she was lost with all hands, the most mooted reason for her loss being a build-up of ice. Painted for Bernie Edwardson of Lerwick.
St Clair 4The first ro-ro vessel to operate on the Aberdeen - Shetland route for P & O Ferries, and the fourth ship to bear the name "St. Clair", depicted leaving Aberdeen harbour, with Girdleness lighthouse in the background.
The owner lives in Aberdeen
St. Clair II off Bressay LightSeen approaching Lerwick harbour with the Bressay Light to starboard, the second "St. Clair" for the North of Scotland, Orkney and Shetland Steam Navigation Co. Ltd plied the route between Aberdeen and Shetland from her launch in 1937 until renamed "St.Magnus" on the arrival of the first purpose-built diesel "St. Clair" in 1960. As well as her good looks, she was a tremendously good sea-boat, famed for her ability to go through any weather. Painted for Adam Gifford of Bressay
Sheepdogs at StromfirthThese two black-and-white sheepdogs are pictured against the background of the peatlands of Stromfirth, in the central mainland of Shetland.
It was commissioned By Chris Cummings of Weisdale, Shetland
Seabourn LegendThe "Seabourn Legend" is owned by The Yachts of Seabourn, is 10,000 grt and was built in 1989.
The painting is 24 x 18 inches in size, and it was commissioned by someone in England
Ro-ro St. RognvaldThe "St. Rognvald" was the last dedicated ro-ro cargo ship to sail on the Northern Isles route for P & O Ferries. Formerly the Italian vessel "Marino Torre", she came into service on the route in 1989. She is pictured in a stiff following breeze off Sumburgh Head.
This seascape oil painting was commissioned by P. Rutherford of Nesting, Shetland. It was painted on hardboard, and is 24 x 18 inches in size